Sarah's Science is the Bay Area's premier science enrichment company with over 30 years of experience providing fun and educational camps, classes, and workshops for children. For more information or to enroll in an upcoming camp, class, or workshop please visit www.sarahscience.com or call (510) 581-3739.
Sarah's Science & This Land is Your Land Summer Day Camp
Connecting kids to nature and making science fun!
Weekly sessions from June 11 - August 24
Beautiful locations in Berkeley (Tilden Park) and Oakland (Roberts Park)
Camp Hours: 9-3, AM Care 8-9, PM Care 3-5:30
At Sarah's Science and This Land is your Land Summer Day Camp, your child will discover just how fun learning can be! Sarah's Science blends traditional camp activities like arts and crafts, hikes, games and swimming with a unique hands-on science and nature curriculum. Each week of camp is centered around an exciting theme and campers make and take home a fun science project every day. Each project is accompanied by a science note to continue the learning at home.Sarah's goal is for every child to have a summer filled with outrageous fun in a beautiful, natural setting. Reserve your spot today for a summer filled with award-winning, hands-on, outdoor science fun!
SUMMER 2018 SCHEDULE
June 11 – 15: Go Green
* Make your own cold composting wormery to decompose your lunch (worms included)
* Use the sun's energy to vibrate a solar cell jitterbug
* Create cool optical illusions with a water-powered hydroelectric spinner
June 18 – 22: Rockets Away!
* Blast-off a homemade air-powered bottle rocket
* Slingshot a whirly bird rocket into the sky and watch it twirl to the ground
* Concoct a chemical reaction to launch an Alka-Seltzer rocket
June 25 – 29: Games Galore
* Bowl strikes with a portable pendulum bowling game
* Test your skills on the court with a hand-held basketball catapult
* Invent your own single-player magnetic maze game
July 2 – 3 & 5 – 6: Nature Detectives
(No Camp Wednesday July 4; Reduced Rate)
* Dissect owl pellets and reassemble the tiny skeletons within
* Make an entomologist's aspirator (bug vacuum) to examine insects
* Grow native California milkweed and learn about the life cycle of monarch butterflies
* Plus we'll also have a special visit from our friends (human and reptile) at the East Bay Vivarium
July 9 – 13: Tops and Other Spinning Things
* Make a motorized solar-powered spinner and hang it from your ceiling
* Trick your mind with an optical illusion spinning top
* Design your own animation with a personal thaumatrope
July 16 – 20: All Wired Up!
* Wire up an electric fiber optic robot and watch it light up
* Make a motorized propeller and control the speed with resistors
* Spook your friends with a static electricity-powered floating ghost
July 23 – 27: Crazy Contraptions
* Greet your friends with a crank-powered mechanical hand waver
* Bring the circus home with a mini gravity-powered carousel
* Construct an electric vibrating robot and watch it buzz around your house
July 30 – August 3: Abracadabra! The Science of Magic
* Astound your friends with magic tricks (shhh. it's really science!)
* Make water "magically" disappear
* Create a magic message tube to decode secret messages
* Plus we'll be treated to a special visit from our friend, Gerald Joseph the Magician
August 6 – 10: Catapults & Castles - Medieval Science
* Compete in a duel with lever-action jousting knights
* Create a medieval castle and knock down the walls with a catapult
* Build your own PVC mini trebuchet catapult
* On Freaky Friday, dress up as your favorite knight or princess
August 13 – 17: Terrific Tools
* Wire up a motorized electric sander for your construction project
* Gather loose nuts and bolts with a homemade magnetic pickup tool
* Use a water-powered mini hydraulic jack to do heavy lifting
August 20 – 24: Sarah's Favorites
* Launch marshmallows across the room with a specialized catapult
* Head to the race track with a rubber band-powered hot rod
* Surprise your friends across the room with a plastic bottle air cannon
"My sons loved the science projects! My older son (who only wanted to go to sports camp) came home the first day and said, 'I love science!' Both of my sons couldn't wait to teach me about the science they learned every day." -- Lise N.
"My daughter attended Sarah's Science camp and had a wonderful experience. We have been to any number of high quality camps and this one exceeded our expectations. The kids didn't merely build cool contraptions, they were actively encouraged to understand the science behind them, and there were detailed handouts for the parents to carry the learning home. Sarah was involved and available to parents and the counselors were mature, kind, responsible, and first rate. Every day after camp my daughter told me her day had been FANTASTIC. She generally loves camp but this was a notch above in enthusiasm." -- Aretha W.
"My kids LOVED this camp. They voted it the best camp of the summer and will definitely return next year. They loved showing off their inventions every day. I really liked the staff at this camp. They were very helpful and always concerned about the safety and well-being of my kids. I think they went the extra mile to be sure that my kids with allergies were safe. I also think the choices given to the kids allows all of my kids to attend AND enjoy the same camp which is a huge plus for me." -- Jennifer W.
"I appreciate that my daughter had the opportunity to learn about science in a fun, engaging and non-threatening environment. I think it is vital that girls are given the opportunity to explore their interest in science. I also appreciate that Sarah's Science camp is FUN and the kids get DIRTY. They get to be kids!" -- Monique S.